Health & Safety
Operations & Management
Domtar fined over burned worker in Ontario
April 28, 2009 By Pulp & Paper Canada
Domtar Inc. was fined $87,000 for a violation under the Occupational Health and Safety Act after a worker at the co…
Domtar Inc. was fined $87,000 for a violation under the Occupational Health and Safety Act after a worker at the company’s sawmill in White River, Ont. was injured. The incident occurred in 2007; the sawmill is currently closed indefinitely.
According to the Ontario Ministry of Labour, on March 20, 2007, an electrician was doing maintenance work on a machine at Domtar Inc.’s White River facility. As the worker was testing the voltage inside an electrical panel on the machine, an arc flash, or electrical blast, burned the worker’s hand and face.
An investigation by the Ministry of Labour determined that the worker was not wearing rubber gloves or a shield.
Domtar Inc. pled guilty to failing, as an employer, to ensure the worker used protective equipment and procedures adequate for protection against electrical shock and burns.
The fine, along with a 25% victim surcharge, was issued on April 16, 2009.
Print this page