Environment & Sustainability
Domtar releases 2019 sustainability report on environmental initiatives
By P&PC Staff
By P&PC Staff
Domtar Corporation has released its 2019 Sustainability Report, which details the progress the company has made on emissions and waste reduction.
Among the highlights:
- 38 per cent of the fibre procured for Domtar’s pulp and paper mills was certified, including 21 per cent from Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)-certified sources.
- 19 per cent reduction in waste to landfill from pulp and paper mills since 2013, while beneficially using 69 per cent of the manufacturing byproducts generated.
- 72 per cent of the energy used in Domtar’s pulp and paper mills came from renewable biomass fuels, along with self-generating an equivalent of 72 per cent of the electricity they used.
- 15 per cent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions at pulp and paper mills since 2010.
- Two percent reduction in water use at pulp and paper mills since 2014.
The report indicates Domtar has met most of its goals for 2020, including increasing the level of FSC-certified fibre it uses to at least 20 per cent, reducing its direct greenhouse gas emissions and indirect emissions from purchased energy by 15 per cent, and developing a of full-cost-of-water model.
The company’s outstanding goals include reducing total waste to landfill from pulp and paper mills by 40 per cent of 2013 levels (status: 19 per cent), implementing its EarthChoice Ambassador program for employee engagement in sustainability efforts across all of its facilities (status: 86 per cent), and reducing its recordable safety incident rate to 0.50 (status: 0.74).
“We and our investors care about how efficiently we use natural resources in our manufacturing, how we support our communities, how we have reduced greenhouse gas emissions, and how we develop our employees and keep them safe,” says John D. Williams, Domtar’s president and CEO, in a release. “We believe that caring about our environment, our communities and our people helps us better meet our business objectives and deliver returns for the long term.”
Read the 2019 Domtar Sustainability Report.