FPAC announces awards of excellence recipients, celebrating the best and the brightest
By P&PC Staff
By P&PC Staff
Forest Products Association of Canada (FPAC) has announced the winners of its annual Awards of Excellence program. The program recognizes outstanding Canadians who have made exceptional contributions to the forest sector and to forestry communities.
“The FPAC Awards of Excellence program is the moment where we pay tribute to the remarkable people who help make our sector a world leader in sustainable forest management, and who advance the many environmental, social, and economic benefits of Canadian forestry,” said FPAC president and CEO Derek Nighbor. “As we push through the pandemic and continue our transition to a low-carbon economy, Canada’s forest products sector is proud to honour the dedicated professionals who strengthen the benefits that sustainable forest management, forest products, and family-supporting forestry jobs provide to Canadians from coast-to-coast.”
FPAC’s Awards of Excellence 2021 recipients are:
Forest Community Champion Award
- Mark Joron – Woodlands supervisor, EACOM Timber Corporation, Timmins, Ontario
- Senator Diane Griffin – chair, standing senate committee on agriculture and forestry
FPAC Partnership Award
- Outland Youth Employment Program (OYEP)
- Earth Rangers
FPAC Member of the Year Award
- Amber Armstrong – manager, communications and stakeholder relations, Mercer International, Peace River, Alberta
- Andrew de Vries – manager, Indigenous opportunities and government relations, Tolko Industries, Vernon, British Columbia
FPAC—Canadian Council for Aboriginal Business (CCAB) Indigenous Business Leadership Award
- Agoke Development Corporation, Thunder Bay, Ontario
FPAC—Canadian Council of Forest Ministers (CCFM) Skills Awards for Indigenous Youth
- Kianna Bear-Hetherington – stewardship technician intern, Nature Trust of New Brunswick.
St. Mary’s First Nation, Fredericton, New Brunswick.
- Tristian Flood – Woodlands summer student, EACOM Timber Corporation.
Matachewan First Nation, Kirkland Lake, Ontario.
- Krystle Leigh-Ann Hill – greenhouse assistant, Kayanase Ecological Restoration Centre.
Six Nations Reserve of Grand River, Brantford, Ontario.
FPAC Innovation Award
- Fabian Glowalla – manager, energy and innovation, Mercer Celgar Pulp, Castlegar, British Columbia
FPAC Lifetime Achievement Award
- Janet Lane – sustainable forestry team leader, Domtar Corporation, Dryden, Ontario
- Marc Bédard – vice-president of forestry, Resolute Forest Products, Montreal, Quebec
FPAC Women in Forestry Award of Excellence
- Kristin Dangelmaier – manager, technical, quality and environment, Domtar Corporation, Kamloops, British Columbia
FPAC Rising Star Award
- Aaron DesLauriers – land management supervisor, Mercer Peace River, Alberta
- Nikki Stein – newsmill shift superintendent, Resolute Forest Products, Thunder Bay, Ontario