Georgia-Pacific wins FSC leadership award for sustainability
By P&PC Staff
By P&PC Staff
Georgia-Pacific is among the winners of the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)’s 10th Annual FSC Leadership Awards, which recognize companies that advance responsible forest management and forest conservation.
The tissue maker was awarded for the production of its Quilted Northern Ultra Soft and Strong toilet paper, which is FSC certified. The company also manages 75,000 acres of FSC-certified family forests in the southeastern United States, and promotes conservation through its Endangered Forest Program in support of FSC’s Controlled Wood National Risk Assessment.
The Appalachian Woodland Alliance was another winner, along with its key partners Rainforest Alliance, Domtar, Evergreen Packaging and Columbia Forest Products, for pilot testing new approaches for FSC certification of family woodlands in the U.S. Southeast.
“This year’s FSC Leadership Award winners show that we can conserve forests, fight climate change and protect wildlife, even as we use forest products every day,” says Corey Brinkema, president of the Forest Stewardship Council U.S., in a statement.
The winners of the 2020 FSC Leadership Awards are as follows:
- Appalachian Woodland Alliance (with partners Rainforest Alliance, Domtar, Evergreen Packaging and Columbia Forest Products)
- Community Rebuilds and Architectural Nexus for the Projects at Mill Creek
- Forest Stewards Guild
- Fran Price at the World Wildlife Fund
- Gagnon Lumber
- Herman Miller
- Meyer Memorial Trust
- Nordic Structures
- Sustainable Furnishings Council
- The University of Tennessee AgResearch and The Nature Conservancy
- Redwood Forest Foundation and Usal Redwood Forest Company
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, FSC is celebrating the award winners virtually this year. In addition to receiving an FSC-certified wood plaque and a digital award, winners will be recognized during a December 2nd gathering of FSC North America members.