Environment & Sustainability
Resolute Forest Products sets longer-term ESG targets for 2026
June 1, 2022 By P&PC Staff
Resolute Forest Products announced that it has set a series of longer-term environmental, social and governance (ESG) targets for 2026. These targets complement its annual targets and are aligned with other ongoing public commitments.
Resolute is renewing its commitment to maintain internationally recognized forest management certification at 100 percent of its managed woodlands and chain-of-custody certification at 100 percent of its manufacturing facilities.
The sustainability targets that Resolute aims at achieving by year-end of 2026 also include:
- Increasing externally sourced fibre that is third-party certified to 75 percent;
- Reducing waste sent to landfills by 20 percent at all pulp, paper and tissue mills compared to 2018 levels;
- Optimizing the long-term carbon capture of wood products by improving roundwood consumption at wood products facilities by 0.125 m3/mfbm compared to 2021;
- Achieving an Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) incident rate of 0.40 or less;
- Reaching 30 million hours without a recordable incident across company operations;
- Donating at least $1 million to charitable community organizations through the Board of Directors Safety Award Program;
- Contributing at least $5 million to community and academic organizations across all operations; and
- Creating an online, one-stop-shop procurement portal for local, regional and global vendors to highlight supply chain transparency.
“At Resolute, we continue to raise the bar, increasing expectations of our own performance,” said Remi G. Lalonde, president and chief executive officer. “Having surpassed our 2025 greenhouse gas (GHG) emission reduction target, we are now in the process of setting 2026 reduction goals in line with the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi), including scope 1, 2 and 3 targets. We aim to drive continuous improvement in all aspects of our business, together with ESG performance.”
The company had earlier announced its intent to increase women’s representation on the board of directors to 30 percent by 2024. Earlier this year, Resolute established a diversity, equity and inclusion working committee.
The complete list of Resolute’s ESG goals is available on the company’s corporate website.
Print this page