Pulp and Paper Canada

News Paper Pulp Tissue Workforce
J.D. Irving anticipates 6,800 full-time hires in North America by 2022

January 6, 2020  By P&PC Staff

J.D. Irving, Limited predicts it will hire 6,800 full-time employees as well as over 2,700 students across the company’s operations in Canada and the U.S. over the next three years.

In addition to its pulp and paper, tissue and forestry divisions, J.D. Irving has business units in agriculture, construction, consumer products, food, retail, shipbilding and transportation and logistics.

The three-year forecast is a result of anticipated retirements, business growth and normal workforce turnover.


“When we look at our three-year forecast from 2020-2022, 87 per cent of the jobs we need to fill are in the Atlantic provinces,” says Colleen Baxter, vice-president of human resources at J.D. Irving. “Seventy-four per cent of the jobs are in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia alone.”

The company says an increasing need for immigration is leading to an anticipated 400 positions for newcomers. Across the organization, the areas with the highest number of job opportunities include operations, shipping, supply and logistics, retail sales and engineering.

“We are a company focused on investing in the talent and potential of our people and offer a unique opportunity to join one operation and grow a career with many of our businesses,” says Baxter. “Our strategy is to keep talented people home, bring them home and to welcome newcomers.”

Over the next three years, J.D. Irving forecasts hiring over 400 skilled trades across all divisions, with 81 per cent of those skilled trades jobs located in Atlantic Canada. The remaining 19 per cent are in Ontario and the United States (Maine, New York and Georgia).

Print this page


Stories continue below