Gene H. Kruger made Kruger Inc. what it is today : an innovative, dynamic enterprise, focused on quality, technology and productivity. His vision on global perspective led to the forging of a collaborative relationship outside North America between Kruger Inc. and non-Kruger Inc. interests, including with tissue operations in Venezuela and Colombia.
As chairman of the board and CEO for the last 20 years, Joseph Kruger II, Gene's son, has overseen the continual expansion into forest and wood products, specialty publication papers, North American tissue manufacturing, energy, recycling and modernization of the company with special emphasis on the environment. The company operates five business units with mills, plants and offices in Qubec, Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia and Newfoundland and Labrador, the United States, United Kingdom and employs over 10,500 people.
Publication Papers (1.9 million tonnes of paper/year) - newsprint, coated, ultralightweight coated, supercalendered, directory
Business unit founded in 1950 with the acquisition of a first mill in Bromptonville (QC). Other acquisitions in Trois-Rivires (1973), Corner Brook (1984), Manistique, Michigan (1991) and Kruger Wayagamack (2002).
Cashmere from Cottonelle, ScotTowels, Scotties, White Swan, White Cloud, Purex, Viva... products for office buildings, healthcare/educational facilities, food service, manufacturing/industrial facilities and hotels/motels.
-Non-Kruger Inc. Interests in Venezuela (1956) and Colombia (1960)
-Tissue Operations in England started with the acquisition of Disley Paper in 1988
-Acquisition of Scott Paper's Canadian operations in 1997 - Mills/plants in Crabtree, Lennoxville and Gatineau (QC), Calgary (AB) (new converting operation built in 2000), and New Westminster (BC). Acquisition of KTG USA in Memphis (MI) in 2002.
Place Turcot (Montral) 100% recycled linerboard plant established in 1960.
Packaging plants in Sherbrooke (1952) moved to LaSalle in 1960; opening of a second plant in Toronto (1964); construction of new packaging unit in Brampton (ON) in 2004.
Forest and Wood Products (ISO 14 001 - CSA-Z-809) - Sustainable Forest Management
Partnership with Crte & Fils (1987); construction of sawmill in Ragueneau on Qubec's North Shore (1997); acquisition of Scierie HCN (1996) and Jacques-Beaulieu sawmills in 1996; building of planing and drying kiln operation in 2003 on the Jacques Beaulieu site.
Establishment of DRIcore sub-floor manufacturing unit in Mississauga, ON, in 2002.
Hydro Bromptonville (1996), Deer Lake Power Company acquired with Corner Brook mill in 1984, cogeneration plant in Corner Brook (1995), biomass cogeneration project underway in Bromptonville (2004).
Congratulations to Kruger Inc. and their employees on their 100th anniversary.